Saturday, August 9, 2008

In the beginning....

Well here goes - my foray into the blogosphere. Until now, I have hesitated to blog for a couple reasons. First, there are some academic endeavors that have needed fulfilled first. Writing here though should serve to get the creative juices going. Secondly, someone once said (and the quote has stuck with me), "Blogging is like urinating. Anyone can do it and people are equally interested in the results." Therefore, if you're here reading this, please know I'm not insulting you but rather applauding you - for taking an interest.

Some have expressed an interest in a newsletter of sorts from me lately. This blog will have to do. I figure some of my routine will make for good blog fodder.

This week much of my time was spent in a couple hospitals. The miracle of Annabelle came to us on Thursday - three weeks early. She valiantly endured two surgeries consecutively on the two days following birth - utterly amazing to view God's handiwork.

Yesterday I went to see Jane and Bill. Jane was released later in the day. Bill called me to tell me that he had indeed had both legs amputated the day before. He's suffered from a disease in them for an estimated 6 years. He has told us many times that they would take the legs. He endured the pain all that time. His sojourn has left him on the streets at times or living in his car on the parking lot. For the past 2-3 years he has had constant care and housing. Thanks be to God.

His requests to have it done were with mixed emotions. We were never completely sure whether it was motivated by the pain level or a need for attention or both at any particular time. It was finally medically advisable this week and actually occured. It still didn't sink in until I saw him face to face. There was a great sense of loss. I prayed with him. He wept, then I wept and couldn't finish the prayer. God heard it anyway. I assured Bill we had walked with him up to this point and would continue to walk with and for him now.

Today I traveled up to Lake Forest, Cali to witness the nuptials of two of our congregants, Rebecca Go and John Paynter. They made a beautiful bride and handsome groom. A friend, Jamie Gates, officiated for the first time on a solo basis and did a superb job - classy, commanding and tastefully comedic.

For a nightcap we went to the Q to see the Bolts rope the Cowboys 31-17. ¡Good Times! I still hold a small place in my heart for the Cowboys having lived in two Texas towns and idolizing Roger Staubach as a kid, but then again these aren't the same Cowboys.


I reached my goal weight today having dropped 25 in 2.5 months. It's been a goal for awhile. I didn't see it coming until one day we were weighing food donations from a local grocer. Two of my friends, Greg Merrill & David Crazythunder, who volunteer at the church were having a competitive debate about their weight. I wanted to settle it and hopped on to see that 16 lbs. had recently vanished. Figuring the scale must be broken I confirmed it on two others. From then on it seemed to come off like an avalanche. The plan now is to celebrate by going to one of my favorite restaurants to gorge myself silly. Makes perfect sense to me.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Darren!

Love the blog. Now I know where to go to get the latest on you. I last saw Kathy here a few years ago when she came to do a deputation for us. It was nice to connect with her. Hey, you'll have to check out our church web site when Bruce gets it finalized (soon I hope). Google MosaicDC. We changed the name to Mosaic (broken pieces/people coming together to create something beautiful for God). Yep, I'm STILL here at Dewberry, 21 years and counting. Not much has changed except my eye sight and weight. Contacts and glasses help one, a treadmill helps the other. Well, got to run. Lunch is calling. Bye!

Anonymous said...

So how'd you lose the weight? Please share the methods to your weight-loss madness. Others would like to enjoy 25 lbs of that sort of madness! (That means me!)

THANKS!

dlm said...

I can't say that any of this is scientific or effective but I'll tell what's changed for me.

* regular & frequent exercise.
* more manual labor at work. We're talking moving/lifting large quantities of food (cases, pallets) so you might not have that opportunity.
* no longer eat dinner at 10 or 11 p.m. Late night dining is an exception rather than the rule.
* skip meals - I haven't eaten lg. breakfasts for a long time anyway. Currently it may consist of a coffee and pastry at *bucks or nothing at all.
* when I eat out, which is the majority of the time, I don't clean my plate as I was taught - take part of it home or give it away on the way home to someone who looks hungry.
* eat fruit, yogurt, or salad for lunch
* Low cholesterol & red meat - hard being from Wisconsin - smaller portions in general