Tuesday, August 12, 2008

7th Inning Streak

I got a call on Monday from Kev. He scored some sweet seats behind the Milwaukee Brewers bullpen for Tuesday night's game. No problem, we’ll move down from the season ticket seats. As Bob Uecker would say, “must be in the front row”. This cheesehead was in heaven. ¡Mil Gracias! to the donor. I would have to place this in my top 10 games at Petco Park and in the top 5 where event and seating location are combined. In no particular order:

1. Tonight’s game.
2. Barry Bonds attempt at HR #755* with the mob in the bleachers.
3. Barry Bonds success at HR #755* poised in row 1 of right field. (*though I don’t agree with his claim to the record, the night was electric.)
4. 5/21/08 behind Cardinals bullpen with Dave Harrison of San Diego (more on this another day).
5. 8/13/05 in San Diego Padres President Dick Freeman’s Garden Level Suite with Dave Harrison of Boston (more on this another day).

The 7th Inning Stretch was pre-empted by three wanna-be-streakers who cascaded over the left field wall and onto the field. They led the Elite Security staff on a wild goose chase. I'll have to say it did add some excitement to the game. The only other memorable 7th inning stretch this season was the one on 4/17 that was followed by a 14th and 21st inning stretch. D. Harrison stuck it out with me for 22 innings until 1:30. We had to take a taxi home and as it turned out I knew the driver - a past church attender.

My insider friend at Elite, K-Rod, tells me this breech onto the field will get you a new set of bracelets and 3 days in the pokey. Friends, if you are thinking about trying this sometime, I would just recommend you avoid doing it near a weekend, especially a long weekend with a Monday holiday - this could land you some extra time off work until the courts are back in session.


The bullpen had a good laugh in the third inning when Jeff Suppan came up to bat. The Padres staff flashed a picture of Brian Shouse on the screen instead of Suppan. Seth McClung is a real joker out there in the bullpen - a class clown of sorts - his show is worth the price of admission.

6 comments:

LLMatson said...

Deron, I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but Seth McClung is Pam Stelting's nephew.

dlm said...

I wished I would have remembered that. RATS! Maybe you can have her say hi for me. He was the greatest - sense of humor, talking to the fans, throwing things at them, messing around with the other players. He spoke to me at one point after the first home run. I was cheering and he said is that all you've got. C'mon!!!! Maybe I can get there early enough today to hollar at him.

LLMatson said...

Yeah, get close enough to him to yell "Your Aunt Pam said to tell you 'Hi.'" That should get his attention.

Team Kess said...

D, I'm pretty sure you forgot about a SDFC group outing to Petco where the Padres roared from four or five down in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Dodgers. Maybe 2006, sitting in the left field seats. That was a great Petco moment.

dlm said...

You're right team kess. That one ranks high on the list - can't leave that one out. It was June, 7, 2007. Thought about that game last night. JP mentioned the Padres needed a comeback and that we should stay through to the end b/c it can happen. Incidentally, one night before Trevor got his 500th Save. Quite a series.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard?d=2007-06-07

dlm said...

I didn't end up making it down for the game today. Those day games are hard to get to. I'll trade the tix in for another game and send Pam the pix on CD for her and Seth.