Monday, August 18, 2008

Burnout


No, I haven't burned out. But I can see where it could easily happen. Natalie, one of my interns this summer, asked if I had ever experienced burnout. "No - I don't think so." Upon further review though I think I do experience it in spurts. I know just enough to see it coming or see it upon me and am able to do something in response to quickly change course and get back on track. If anyone deserves a good episode of burnout though, I feel I'm well qualified and entitled. The weight of the demands placed on a minister are quite challenging perhaps no more though than those weighing on you.

Tim Hancock, Song Evangelist, told me early on when I was in school, "take care of yourself because no one else will." Sounded harsh but there was a lot of truth in what he said. "Make an appointment for yourself and keep it." There are thankfully exceptions in those who genuinely ask the hard questions consistently - "how you are doing?" - and expect an honest, detailed answer, but often I have to take this matter into my own hands.

Ways I guess I combat it:

† I have good friends who are an oasis, visiting with them refuels me.

† drive some golf balls (yeah right, when's the last time I did this).

† work on my car - preferably on a job that requires swinging a large hammer repeatedly

† exercise

† take a break, get away for a moment - get a cup of joe, plan regular breaks. I was in a job where I wasn't getting any breaks and it was taking a toll on me. I had reached the end of my rope and called the California Department of Labor to find out my "rights". I was told what they were, presented them to the MAN and got what I needed. Why shouldn't I plan for those in my current position as a minimum.

† take a fast from all news and politics.

† kick a dog.

† talk with my pastor or family for some advice, chances are they've been through what I'm going through and can add some insight.

† talk with someone "worse off than me" - I had a random conversation with a woman the other day. She called out to me as I was parked & waiting outside a friends' apartment. She was passing by using a walker. "Hey what's that patch on your shirt say, who do you work for?" I said, "it's just the brand of the shirt, it says 'Dickies'." Then to her point, "Hey, you're lucky you can drive. I was in an accident. A car hit mine and the glove compartment went into my head. Now I suffer from severe headaches, epilepsy, and memory loss. I can't drive anymore. You're lucky you can." I wasn't going to argue with her but just be thankful.

† talk with someone "better off than me". Either way it gives me perspective and I can be more grateful for what I have and where I'm at or aspire to be and do more

† do something for others

† go to the Word

† j.k. on the kick a dog comment above. I was just checking to see if you were reading all this. That should read "kick a cat".

† go to a game. It all comes back to baseball, huh? It's my drug of choice. I can escape from the cares of the world for at least three hours & there are no bad side effects.

Hope your evening is a relaxing one.

2 comments:

LLMatson said...

Kick a dog? NO

Kick a cat? Your daddy raised you right!

dlm said...

True that. You also said, "The only good cat is a dead cat." Sorry folks. Take all this with a grain of salt but we had a psycho cat and have been scarred for life.