Friday, September 5, 2008

Dark Night of the Soul

I'm sorry for the hiatal silence but I just haven't felt like writing lately. I've been given over more to a contemplative mood and needed the time off to do a lot of soul searching.

When you've journeyed with someone for a significant period of time and they're going through the "Dark Night of the Soul" it's hard to function normally and to know how to act and be. It's still hard, as a pastor or a friend, to always have the right words to say. What really is the remedy or the right posture? If you're close, it's natural to feel the pain as they do.

King David's assessment of the situation and remedy might go as follows: "Then the king said to his men, 'Do you not realize that a prince and a great man has fallen in Israel this day?' Tear your clothes and put on sackcloth and walk in mourning in front of Abner." Hardly seems appropriate in this day and age but a tempting option given the desperation of the situation we face. (2 Sam. 3:38, 31)

Another remedy David offers is a good cry: "To you, Lord I call; You are my Rock, Do not turn a deaf ear to me, For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit. Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place." This might help some. For others you can cry until it feels like your eyes are going to pop out and the pain is still there and the right words don't come. (Ps. 28)

I do take comfort in the words of Henry Nouwen, D. McNeill & D. Morrison in Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life. "When do we receive real comfort and consolation? Is it when someone teaches us how to think or act? Is it when we receive advice about where to go or what to do? Is it when we hear words of reassurance and hope? Sometimes, perhaps. But what really counts is that in moments of pain and suffering someone stays with us. More important than any particular action or word of advice is the simple presence of someone who cares." Know we are with you.



On a lighter note, I was able to get away for a while on Wednesday to clear my mind. I had an opportunity to hike in the Lake Cuyamaca area. I didn't hit the trailhead until 12:30 but there was a nice cloud cover the entire time that provided some shade. It was ideal because of the solitude offered - time alone with the Creator of all that I was able to drink in. The only others I ran into on the trail were one other loner going up on my way down and this group of CDC inmates who joined me at the summit. It was interesting to see this group, clad in orange jumpsuits, led by one fire captain coming up the mountain on their own, and good for their sake, unshackled. My Buck knife suddenly said, "hey dummy, quick, conceal me". They were on their 2nd climb of three for the day.



At one point a flock of 9 wild turkeys crossed the road in front of me. Oh for a shotgun and a couple large sacks. That would have made for a nice early Thanksgiving via Billy's smoker. Somehow they seemed to know they were on protected land.



MercyMe - Hold Fast

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dont' worry take your time I`m here for you. when you need me, were friends. I understand your position now. I`ve been through the same feeling sometimes. ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS! GOD IS LOVE. Put love in all your actions,And you`ll be in the right path.
.p.s. You`re the sunshine in the dark night of anyone.
(MANDE)BYE BYE =)