Wednesday, September 10, 2008

D-E-R-O-N

Today, several of us assisted the Hunt family with packing, cleaning and exterminating. The move had Bill's dad and a friend pulling away a trailer with an estimated 90% of their belongings & leaving friends with more questions than answers.

I acquired 3 more baseball cards today of my namesake, Deron Johnson. Depending on which dictionary you consult, I'm his namesake or vice versa. Technically, he might be my eponym because I don't think I was named after him for who he was & what he did ?? but because my parents liked the spelling of his name. My Dad took me to meet him once when he was coaching with the Angels & they were playing the Brewers.

I like my name. Always have - good thing. It has caused some difficulty though. I've heard all the pronunciations & been called them all - D'ron (Deron Cherry - KC Chiefs), Dee-Ron (Ryan gets away with that one routinely). There are probably as many ways to spell Darren as there are letters in the alphabet. I've even seen it with an 'h'. At Starbucks if they ask for my name & for the spelling I tell 'em they can just spell it however they like because even if I spell it the next person that reads it is probably just going to slaughter it anyway. How hard can it be? :) Deron rhymes with heron - the bird. Roll call in class at the beginning of the school year was always fun too. For those that get it right the first time, it's like we have an instant connection - want to give them a high-five.

I will sometimes avoid the trouble when making reservations at a restaurant by using my middle name. It seldom gets used for anything and is hard to mess up. Interesting side note: I learned while working in the Records Office - Japanese & Swedish students do not typically have or use middle names. I think I'm going to mess with my kid's name by putting a punctuation mark in the middle of it. That will also give me an automatic excuse to raise my voice when addressing him. "Joh!nny."

5 comments:

Holly said...

D! You actually look like the ball player! Or more like, HE looks like YOU. Great blog. I really like the look too.

dlm said...

Thanks Holly :). I found out from the bio. info on the cards that he was from S.D. Went to Ponce's in Kensington once and they had a guide to K. with the addresses where famous people had lived. He had a home there. I'll have to go look at it sometime. Maybe I'll buy it or one on Deron Ave.

D

dlm said...

I was at a medical appointment today with a parishoner. We were talking with a Social Worker. He asked for my contact information. I had to spell my name for him. When I did, he said oh, there was a baseball player - Deron Johnson.

Ding! Ding! Ding! He got it right! I think that's the first time that's ever happened.

Deron Ertel said...

Absolutely hilarious. I was doing a search on Deron Johnson and came across your blog. I am named for Deron Johnson also. The story is that my parents were picking out names and my dad was feeding my mom names. Come to find out it was the starting lineup for the Reds. My dad was a huge Reds fan.

dlm said...

Hey Indy Racing League Maniac (Deron), That's awesome!

Speaking of Indy Racing. My parents where attending college in IL. My dad had plans to go to the '63 time trials or maybe the actual Indy 500 race. He put a notice up on the bulletin board offering a ride to anyone wanting to go to Indianapolis for the weekend. Happened to be my mom's hometown. The rest is history!