Monday, March 2, 2009

Hohokam Ball Park - Chicago Cubs vs. Arizona Diamondbacks


Ahhh! The pop of the glove, the crack of the bat, the smell of hot dogs & eating sunflower seeds. Baseball's back!

Today we went to Hohokam Ball Park to see the Chicago Cubs take on the Arizona Diamondbacks. We celebrated with Jordan. He was picked before the game to be the Culver Fan of the Day. They took his picture and put it up on the scoreboard just before the start of the game. He was given a Cubs cap and T-shirt. I grew up with Culver's in Wisconsin. I'm glad to see they've branched out so much. It brings back memories of their frozen custard and fried cheese curds. MMMmmmmm!!



El alerted me that Rollie Fingers was signing autographs - raising money for juvenile diabetes. Then I remembered that I had a Brewers cap on so I sought him out and had him sign it. I also bought a ball that he had signed. As a kid, I watched him play 1 mile from my house.

This was a fun park to see a game in. I had to sample the local fare. Let me introduce you to the Mesa Super Nacho Dog. There's a hot dog in there somewhere. It's got chili, cheese, fritos and jalapenos on it. Extra napkins and a fork are a must when eating this thing. I ended up with chili/cheese all over the place; my shirt, sunglasses, cap (when I removed it for the Star Spangled Banner) and on the camera (a loaner, Ooops!)



We met up with some of the players after the game for autographs. On the way driving back to the room we saw this cool light in the middle of the sky. It reminded me of a rainbow but it didn't have all the colors represented and it was just a small ray. We couldn't think of what it's called. Anyone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My grandma always called them sun dogs, but I'm not sure that's their official name.

I'm kind of jealous that you got to meet Rollie Fingers!

dlm said...

Thanks Kris. Yeah, when I was researching them I read about another cool phenomena - halos. I don't think this would qualify though as a halo.

I'm glad I got to meet him. I spotted and photographed a Muskie's fan today. Forgot to make the connection that the team back home was a farm team of the A's. I see they are now defunct. :(