Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thanks!

I had a wonderful birthday yesterday. In the morning I got to do something I love - fishing on the Pacific. I caught a Sculpin and a Barracuda that was too small to keep.

In the evening some friends took me to the Old Spaghetti Factory. They solicited letters from friends & family & then took turns reading them. Thanks to all who called, wrote, sent e-mails, text messages, facebook shout-outs, etc.! It was a lot of fun and very humbling hearing what you wrote.


We really laughed at a portion in my Dad's letter that I'll relate here. He spent some time this last week looking at some of my photos and papers that they have at home.

"I also found a really cool list of 10 things that you were promising yourself about life. I'd sure like to know how old you were when you wrote the list, but I'd guess that it was somewhere in the second, third, or fourth grade. The list is printed, but your signature at the bottom is written in cursive, so I think that may be a tipoff as to when you wrote it. Want to know what you wrote? Here is the list.

1. I will never smoke
2. I won't quit high school
3. I will graduate from college
4. I won't marry for money
5. I won't beat my children
6. I won't watch T.V. a lot
7. I won't change my religion
8. I won't drink
9. I won't try drugs
10. I won't be on welfare

It seems to me that those were pretty good goals for you as a child, and it appears that you have lived up to them in your life. I do wonder about number five. I wonder if the list was written after one of the infrequent spankings either Sharon or I administered. :) "

So .... I was fascinated by this list that was found. I was pleased with it - except for #4. I'm willing to make some concessions now on that one. I learned cursive in the second grade and tried drugs in the third so that tells us when it was written. :)

Sleep depravity took over at the end of the meal. I could identify with the would-be drunk driver at that point. I wanted to charge my phone which was as dead as I was & go check the alarm system at work to be sure it was armed. The Kesslers threatened to take my keys and phone. Their will thankfully won out. I ignored the phone, re-charged it and myself on their couch. Thanks! I'm well rested and ready to write the next chapter in life.

I heard the song "All the World" coming to work this morning & it seemed apropos for how I feel today. [Had a chance to serve the ladies (Point of Grace) dinner while catering in college.] I would post the lyrics here but want to abide by the copyright guidelines. I could probably do it with the church's license but don't know all the ins & outs of that. You can google it if you'd like. Sorry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello good morning and have a great day

susana, and gus.




ho and you have a interesting list.
Bye .Bye

Anonymous said...

Deron,
I'm so glad you had a great day! There is nothing like good friends and family and the affirmations we receive from them. It recharges us when we are reminded of them. As a mom and grandma, I can't thank you enough for your mentoring and friendship to Team Kess. You have blessed all of us. Here's to another fantastic 40+ years!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

november 3 2008

Hola buenos dias
this is a post hi of your
Happy birthday
Happy birthday all the year.


( and have a great day)

susana and gus.

Holly said...

Oh! Wish we could've been there D! I love your list. It made me glad I didn't make one...I failed on several of yours. At least I didn't marry for money! HA!

Anonymous said...

Novenber 4 2008

Que onda, buenos dias
I hope you are better!
Espero tenga un hermoso y brillante dia,como su foto que tomo de el mar.
Ese precioso amanecer que capto con su camara.

susana.........