Thursday, October 30, 2008

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

This song by Chicago has come to mean something different for me this week.

Daylight Savings Link to Heart Health?
Heart attack risk declines after an extra hour of shut-eye.

O.K. - someone's got a little too much time and grant money on their hands. Leave it to the Swedes [of which I am one or am 1/4 of one] to figure that out.

I can relate a little though. I was away from home this weekend housesitting. Monday morning I woke up in my own bed again. I looked at the clock and about had a heart attack. I planned to wake up at 6:00 a.m. My clock read 6:00 but my phone read 7:00. Foiled again!! @#$*)(^&!!!!

Who can I sue?

You see, we are too automated now. The clock sets itself. I plug it in and sparks fly, numbers flash, and voilĂ , the time is set. It must be one of those new-fangled atomic clocks. It's usually about 10-15 minutes off which really confuses me but that's another topic. This clock had reset itself while I was away housesitting. No one told it though that Congress has postponed our cessation of DST by one week again this season. I wanted to wake up at 6:00 and woke up at the old 7:00 or whatever. I'm still confused. If I wasn't renting, that clock would be thrown at or into the nearest wall. That's saying something too b/c I'm usually one of the calmest persons I know. I might take it to Sarah's Smash Shack. I've been wanting to check that place out and this would be the perfect specimen to obliterate. Someone told me Monday that they had some aggression to work out and wanted to beat me up. I recommended we go there instead.

Wikipedia says, "Many computer-based systems can adjust their clocks automatically, but this can be limited and error-prone, particularly when DST rules change." That is an understatement.

On this date in 1894, Daniel M. Cooper of Rochester, N.Y. received the first U.S. patent for a time clock (No. 528,223). I think he's the one I should sue.

2 comments:

Team Kess said...

Sorry D. We appreciate your housesitting none the less.

dlm said...

I'm always happy to oblige.