Saturday, December 13, 2008

Merry Christmas!!

Having grown up in Wisconsin I was used to having a white Christmas more often than not. It's still hard for me to get in the mood with the absence of snow in So. Cal. There are the universal elements leading up to the 25th - carols, food, trees, lights, traffic jams - but it still seems like something's missing. I remember my first December here. The season seemed so contrived to me. The snow and the cold does add something to it all. I kind of miss all it has to offer. I remember:

Sledding, innertubing, skiing, skating, getting in trouble for errant snowballs, trudging through it to deliver newspapers before anyone was awake to shovel the sidewalks, shoveling, blowing it with a snowblower & trying to prevent your eyelashes from freezing together, losing control of your car, the car getting stuck in the snow, doing doughnuts in the mall parking lot, giving your enemies a facewash, making snow people, snowmobiles, & the Klondike Derby with the Boy Scouts.

I hope to get a dose of snow in Colorado when I go home.

Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

Leigh Nottingham and Jeff Sand said...

I'm watching the snow fall right now here in Portland and it is so beautiful. It IS such a treat to spend part of my winters not in So. Cal. lately. I hope we get some snow in Colorado too!!