Monday, April 6, 2009

Swedish Royal Bakery

I had the air bag light come on in the pickup last night and had to return to Poway Toyota today to get the problem remedied before my roadtrip to Porterville Tuesday night. I was told that the extended warranty I was buying into would allow me to take my truck to any Toyota dealer for work. The dealer in Mission Valley saw it another way and gave me the option of signing on for a possible charge of $45 to have the problem checked or go to Poway. The service tech said I could be charged the $45 plus the cost of repair if Poway Toyota didn't reimburse him, yada, yada, yada. I didn't have time to argue so off to Poway I went. Spent 4.5 hours there and the result was good - problem solved - under warranty. On the way back I stumbled upon the Swedish Royal Bakery and John made everything right and made me forget about the 4.5 hours I had just spent, well, doing nothing. I would highly recommend it!

The colors of the Swedish flag on the sign stood out and called my name. John gave me a lesson in Swedish food, culture and language. I told him though I may have never been to the homeland, couldn't speak the mother tongue, and may have never seen some of these things he had created, eating them was like eating soul food. The food I was served by my parents and their parents were influenced by the food from the old world. Eating homecooked meals just makes something click inside me. I can eat these Swedish baked goods or a meal at Kaiserhof Restaurant and its like the stars are aligned and everything is right in the world for a brief moment in time.

I picked up a variety of items. I won't even start to describe them because words cannot do them justice. The items that are behind the glass case are real and they are edible. Don't be fooled. They are works of art as much as they are food made to satisfy your sweet tooth.

I should note, too, that I've been to Poway twice recently for truck related matters and I'm convinced there must be something in the water out there. Everyone, or at least 95% of the people I encountered, are über nice. Too bad we had to close our Nazarene church in Poway. :(

2 comments:

Leigh Nottingham and Jeff Sand said...

Ooh, I want to got to Kaiserhof with you sometime!! AND the swedish bakery :) Fun road trip to Poway!! Hope you are well Deron. I'm enjoying the mountain air again for a little while and working with flowers. Happy Easter!

dlm said...

Hey Leigh, That would be great. I love 'em. Happy Eastertide!